Thursday 16 October 2014

Life - A Journey Home

He sat on the side of my hospital bed and asked gently, "Are you ready to come home with me?"

I asked, "Go where?"

"Home... with me."

"No, I'm not ready yet... I haven't accomplished anything much at all. I haven't brought any souls to you."

He showed me a few faces to debunk my claim. But still, I said no, not yet. 

(It was definitely not a near death experience but an encounter to take into reflection.) 

And immediately, the realisation sank in. Is my life about accomplishing? Is there a quota of souls I must bring to God before I am satisfied with life? Who sets this quota? Is it me? Even if my life shall be used to direct souls back to God, is it a number game I'm playing? Is my life about accomplishing? 

It was certainly a very good realisation that will further prepare me for what is to come. Because in that realisation, I realised that no matter what I am called to do, the work is not mine but God's. Like Bl. Mother Teresa said, "I am a pencil in God's hands." 

My life shall not be about accomplishments. It shall be about being what God wants me to be; nothing more, nothing less. It is about following Him in all He wills of me, striving towards this faithfully even though there will be many times I will fall so short of a loving response to His invitations. What and how much I do and accomplish are His to decide. 

My life is a journey home to God. 
And all that matters in this journey is that I grow in greater intimacy with the One to whom I am returning.

Can you hold on to anything in this life forever?
What is your life about?

No comments:

Post a Comment