Monday 30 June 2014

Between Taking Charge & Letting Go

What I can remember of Fr Jojo Magadia SJ's homily this afternoon:

We are called to Christian leadership and yet, we face the tension between taking charge and letting go. Jesus in today's Gospel teaches us to let go when He said, "... foxes have holes and the birds of the air have nests but the Son of Man has nowhere to lay his head (not eggs)."

We can make plans and decisions for the future but along the way, it is God who will move us. 

Letting go frees up space in our hearts for faith. 
___________________________________________________________

How often do I insist on my way, forcing my plans through, even when doors still remain shut. 

How often do I resist surrendering to the will of God because I see a "greater" and even a more "noble", "holier" result in following my will instead.  

How often do I hang on to my will because God's will has too much uncertainties.

And yet, in these times, I am called to an act of faith. 

To let go of my pride and stubbornness, fears and worries, anxieties and apprehensions. To let go of me so that the Spirit of God can come under my opened, surrendered arms and carry me to where His will is. And where His will is is where He Himself is found. Only in giving in to the love of God can I open my arms and allow Him to take me. And then... and only then... I shall live and remain in Him.

"Only in love can I find you, my God. 
In love, the gates of my soul spring open, allowing me to breathe a new breath of freedom..."
~ Karl Rahner, SJ

No comments:

Post a Comment