Sunday 15 May 2011

Death of a Family Member

In life, we experience many "first-time" moments; 1st-time at being a parent, getting married, trying out a new stall, and of course in 2011, 1st-time voting, etc. About 12h ago, my aunt passed away in front of me. My first-time being at someone's death-bed and being one of the last to see the deceased. Her pulse rate was not monitored on a machine as I thought was the normal procedure for patients with fluctuating heart rates. Her death remained unnoticed until the pulse rate was no longer felt at the her neck and chest when the maid checked on her.

There was only one daughter in the ward. In time, the other children arrived, rushing down the corridor and sobbing along the way. They surrounded their beloved mother and wept. Standing in a distance, I came to a deeper realisation as the scene was captured in my photographic memory that I will one day be in those same shoes, weeping and feeling the heart-wrenching loss of my own parents.

Death is a sure thing for all of us. I must admit that I have been influenced from young to adopt the "taboo" of death, to fear it and to fear the emotions it entails. But I am truly blessed to have been granted the gift of faith in God, the God of all eternity. In Jesus, who by His death opened the gates of heaven to us, I am assured of eternal life that awaits me and my dear ones. It becomes easier to cope with the loss because I know that it is God to whom I am losing my dear one; and in His hands, the souls can rest in eternal peace and elation. With this hope made possible only through the gift of faith and the choice to trust, I hold the passing dear to my heart with the assurance that we will one day meet again in the eternal Kingdom of God.

May God give us strength in our most trying moments.

15 May 2011 Sunday
1.05am

No comments:

Post a Comment