Wednesday 15 December 2010

My Last Christmas?

I have had the privilege of getting to know an orphan, Mary (not her real name). Being without parents since young, she had to grow up alone. Previously, Mary worked at a coffee shop, selling beer. People would often associate her with sexual promiscuity because of the social stigma and misconception that girls who sell beer are loose and would sleep with men. Mary, on the other hand, is a very simple and down-to-earth person. She found a couple who willingly took her in and cared for her. In 2007, Mary was diagnosed with colon cancer. Then, all alone, she had no clue at all about what she should do. She looked up in the sky and asked, "God, if You are the God, if You are really there, show me what I should do." 


Soon, Mary met a group of people from a Divine Mercy group. They were strangers but they came to know of Mary's situation and brought her to see the doctor, arranged for her operation, etc. To a depressed and lost person that Mary was at that time, this group of people was the angels God sent to her; her pillar of strength and guiding light. The cancer spread to her lungs and she did a second operation. When all seemed well, few months back, Mary was told that her cancer has relapsed. She feels excruciating pain in her upper body and her cancer might have spread to her bones. Speech is now a challenge for her as it leaves her out of breath and wheezing. 


Hearing the sad story of Mary, we might comment, "She's really quite a sad case." More than this, our hearts need to be moved with greater compassion. Mary knows it inside her that this Christmas will be her last. How many of us, healthy and able as we are, can truly understand what it really feels like to know that this Christmas will be our last? If we know it were to be our last, how much more precious would it be? How much deeper into the meaning of Advent and Christmas will we take the time and effort to understand, appreciate and treasure? How much more willing and open will we be to the Christ-child's coming into our hearts and lives? Can I safely and surely say that this Christmas will NOT be my last? Would I know? 


When life puts us down with its fair or unfair share of trials and tribulations, what is our attitudes towards it? If we but focus solely on our negative experiences, it takes a life experience like that of Mary to shake and wake us up a little, that hey, there are others out there who have been going through sufferings, one after another, right from birth and still keep their faith in God. And their sufferings are far more trying than our petty little issues of everyday living. The only thing that is keeping Mary going now is that she has decided to take Mary, the Mother of Jesus, as her own role model; that like Mary, she, too, surrenders her life into the hands of God. 


As my birthday approaches, I begin to think again about its real meaning. As a kid, birthdays are occasions for fun, presents and being the princess for the day. But as I age, I begin to realise that I will not be in this world if not for God who created me and my parents who were His instruments of bringing me into the world on this very day. Birthdays, thus, is a time to give thanks to God for His gift of life, to my parents for their sacrifice of love to provide, care and teach me. It is a time to take a real and honest look at the sufferings around and learn gratitude for the multiple blessings I have received from God. The most meaningful birthdays of all is spent none other with those who are poor, downtrodden, rejected, hopeless and the dying. I pray that God will hold firm those in great pain, physical or emotional, and give them the strength, courage and faith to continue in their journey towards Him. 


15 December 2010, Wednesday
12.41am

2 comments:

  1. Thanks for heart-warming sharing about Mary.. It struck me too about how I complained about petty affairs, focus on myself and think that I suffer too much.. Hehe :)

    ReplyDelete
  2. Hey Nana...

    I'm happy to hear that Mary's story has touched you in a special way. I hope this Christmas will be a special one for you, a time to renew the birth of Jesus in your heart. God bless u =)

    Ja

    ReplyDelete