Friday 2 July 2010

My Little Window @ San Damiano

An Intro:

In Umbria sits a town called Assisi. On the highway, afar, the town appeared to be a large white patch of buildings on the slope of the mountain. That was my first glimpse of Assisi. It looked magnificent. In store for me was a deeply significant personal experience with the saints and through the saints, with God. 

Somehow, Italy is overwhelmed with the sacredness that I cannot find in Spore. Here in Assisi, I touched the stones that surround the tomb of St Francis of Assisi within, prayed in the Basilica of St Marys of the Angels and the little chapel used by the early Christians that was kept right in the middle of the Basilica itself. I saw the thornless rose garden and the 2 doves that never leaves St Francis's statue. I prayed at St Ignatius' tomb and knelt in awe of the uncorrupted right hand of St Francis Xavier. I stared hard at the crucifix in a little chapel in the Basilica and words cannot describe how I felt at that moment with the choir singing "God so Loved the World" at the main altar. I prayed at the death spot of St Francis of Assisi and most of all, I found deep serenity in the little room St Clare passed on. From the little window of that room which overlooks the small garden 1 storey down, the roof of the next wing and beyond, the mountain, I sat on the concrete slab and I could stay there all day long, everyday, alone, singing of God's praise and mercy. 

The start of Rome sent me on a stairway to paradise. All that happened during the trip were part of God's plan to get me centred for prayer. I had a lot of problems with my camera and half of the time, I did not take pictures. That was one distraction taken care of. And I was left with no choice but to use my biological camera consisting of my eyes, memory and heart. I took pictures of the highlights with my eyes and kept the images and feelings attached to them in my heart. Now, I'm happy my camera gave me all that headaches. Pulling out pictures taken with my own eyes far outweighs looking through the digital photos I've taken and stored in my hard disk. 

Recognising God's Hand in All:

I thank God for the wisdom He gives me to see that all these events and others in the trip were at that moment of happening deemed as "bad" things are now so obviously His blessings. I wonder how many other blessings He's given to me in my life that I've not paused, opened my eyes and SEE.

On the day I went to St Peter's Basilica, my camera totally played me out. Tonight, at the prayer session in Novena church, as I prayed, I could close my eyes and place myself back at the spot I stood for so long, capturing the magnificently mesmerising decorated altar. I was back in that awe. I was so worried at that time that I would forget how it looks by the time I get back to Singapore but I did my very best to remember. When I went back to the Basilica before heading home, I had my functional camera but I did not take any pics as I thought I would have. I trusted. 

Seeing how God works in my life makes me feel blessed, loved and watched over. I thank God for this experience to travel with the choir to Russia and Rome. I never thought I'd gain anything besides musical experiences but I got so much more instead. I experienced the  true essence of  "friendship", "buddyship", "sainthood", "blessings in disguise", "reverence", "serenity", "gratitude" and "peace". I got to reconnect with the God I've abandoned for so long. I prayed then that when I returned home, I would still hold onto the experience and continue in this journey. I was worried I will lose it. But now being home, I realised it's a constant reminder to keep at it and never let myself loose. 

1 comment:

  1. Yes, I felt touched at the tomb of St Francis of Assisi too. Seeing the hand of our patron saint just inspired me to hum Hidden in the church. :)

    ReplyDelete